How to Decorate a Christmas Tree: 18 Homemade Christmas Ornaments and other Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
We are adding the craft to your Crafts.
The craft was added to your Crafts.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree...how in the world am I going to decorate you? There are so many different ways to decorate a Christmas tree, so it can be tricky to figure out where to start. While every family decorates their Christmas tree a little differently, there is one thing that stays the same: the best Christmas tree decorating ideas are handmade!
Christmas is all about family, so in order to truly cherish your tree this holiday season, you should invite the whole family to contribute their creative talents and create homemade Christmas tree decorations. A kid-made Christmas tree is sure to bring nothing but joy to your home, so everyone will love coming up with new Christmas tree decorating ideas to help craft your family’s best Christmas yet.
Learning how to decorate a Christmas tree is actually quite simple, thanks to this collection of 18 Homemade Christmas Ornaments and other Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas! Start the tree-trimming festivities by learning how to make a Christmas tree topper that you and your family will cherish for years to come. From there, delve into our entertaining ensemble of DIY Christmas ornaments and create your own collection of memories to display on your tree. Put the finishing touches on your Christmas tree with a garland or other homemade Christmas tree decorations, and voila! Your perfect Christmas tree is done.
How to Decorate a Christmas Tree:
18 Homemade Christmas Ornaments and other Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
Table of Contents
It may seem like a simple task decorating the tree. Just hang all your ornaments on the tree, and you're done, right? In the most basic explanation of tree decorating, yes, but if you really want a gorgeous tree sitting in your living room this holiday season, you'll definitely want to take a look at these easy tips for the perfect Christmas tree design.
- String up the lights first - Before you jump into the box of ornaments and start hanging, you'll want to put the lights on the tree first. This way you won't be stringing lights around ornaments and branches.
- You can't have too many lights - Don't be afraid to hang too many strands of lights. They don't just hang on the surface. You can also tuck them deeper into the tree to add some depth to its design.
- Start garland from the top - When adding garland to the tree, start from the top and work your way down. This will allow for even distribution between branches as the base gets wider instead of adjusting to use more or less as you move to the top.
- Hang large ornaments first - Hang larger and favorite ornaments first for prime spots on the tree. Once the large ornaments are evenly spaced among the branches, you can fill in the spaces between with smaller and medium-sized ones.
- Don't decorate the whole tree if you don't have to - If you place your Christmas tree in a corner or against a wall, there's really no reason for you to decorate that part of the tree. It's a hassle for decorating, and you won't get to see those ornaments. Unless you plan on turning the tree every few days, don't worry about decorating the parts that aren't visible to the room.
Chances are, your family feels very strongly towards one type of Christmas tree topper. Does your family prefer a simple star or a classic Christmas angel? No matter your preference, you and your little ones can learn how to make a Christmas tree topper that you'll cherish for years to come. When it comes to Christmas tree decorating ideas, the topper is the most essential because it sets the tone for the rest of the tree, so be sure to choose one that reflects your family's style!
- Iridescent Christmas Tree Star
- 3D Duck Tape Star
- Felt Star Tree Topper
- Paper Mache Angel Tree Topper
- Perfect Paper Plate Angels
Loading your Christmas tree's branches with beautiful ornaments is one of the easiest ways to decorate a Christmas tree, but the best trees are trimmed with handmade creations. Displaying homemade Christmas ornaments gives your Christmas tree a certain charm that can't be bought in a store. Plus, your kids will love seeing ornaments they made year after year as they grow up.
- Feather Angel Ornaments
- Cinnamon Gingerbread Men Ornaments
- Gorgeous Pressed Flower Christmas Ornaments
- Easy Toilet Tube Star Ornaments
- Vintage Shadow Box Ornaments
- Snuggly Snowman Ornaments
- Playful Penguin Snow Globe Ornaments
- Super Simple Santa and Rudolph Ornaments
Can't get enough of these DIY Christmas ornaments? Discover even more ideas in our collection of 66 Ho-ho-homemade Ornaments!
You might think that once the ornaments are hung, the lights are strung, and the tree topper is in place, you no longer need any Christmas tree decorating ideas. But there are always DIY garlands and homemade Christmas tree decorations you can add to your festive decor! Kids will love crafting these little extras to put the finishing touch on your tree.
- Bow-utiful Christmas Orange Pomander
- Easy-Peasy Christmas Pomander
- Festive Felt Christmas Garland
- Bold Bowtie Garland
- BONUS! How to Make a Popcorn Garland
Still looking for more ornament ideas? Check out our "Christmas Crafts for Kids: 18 Homemade Christmas Ornaments" free eBook!
Which of these ornaments will you have the kids make for Christmas this year?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Dollar Store Cork Christmas Ornaments
- Beaded Safety Pin Mini Christmas Tree
- Painted Penguin Wood Ornaments
- Simply Snowflake Ornaments
- Super Simple Reindeer Ornament
- Christmas Ornament Yarn Craft for Kids
- Gorgeous Toilet Tube Snowflake Ornament
- Beautiful Embroidery Hoop Ornaments
- Five Finger Snowman Ornaments
- Toilet Paper Roll Reindeer Ornaments
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Retro Video Game Desk Organizer
- DIY Toy Story 4 Forky Pumpkin
- DIY Harry Potter Wand Holder
- How to Make Magnetic Galaxy Slime
- DIY Polyjuice Potion Harry Potter Slime
- NASA Out of this World Color and Sew Pillowcase Kit
- Riley Blake
- Adorable Toilet Paper Roll Advent Calendar
- Washi Tape Easter Egg Garden Craft
- Washi Tape Easter Egg Wall Hanging Craft
- 13 DIY School Supplies: Back to School Ideas for Kids of All Ages
- 14 Crafts for Boys: Sports Crafts for Kids, Superhero Crafts, and More
- 14 Easy Summer Craft Activities for Kids
- 14 Mother's Day Craft Ideas for Kids: Homemade Mother's Day Gift Ideas
- 27 Crafts for Preschool: Activities for Preschool Children
- 9 Art Project Ideas: Painting Projects for Kids
- Animal Crafts: 17 Zoo Animal Crafts, Fish Crafts, Owl Crafts for Kids, and More
- Cheap and Easy Crafts for Kids: 9 Recycled Crafts
- Kids' Crafts for Easter: How to Decorate Easter Eggs, Easter Egg Hunt Projects, and more Easter Activities for Kids
- Spring Crafts for Kids: 17 Flower Crafts, Butterfly Crafts, and More