27 Crafts for Preschool: Activities for Preschool Children
- see all comments
"or you could use lace or fabric scraps and starch them after you stitch down the middle, pull, and insert them into the doll clothespin."
"HAVEN'T MADE IT YET. SHEESH GIVE A GUY A CHANCE AFTER CLICKING ON IT TO RATE AND COMMENT!"
Popsicle Stick Boat
We are adding the craft to your Crafts.
The craft was added to your Crafts.
Click here to view your Crafts.
Popsicle sticks are one of the most basic crafting supplies, whether you are a serious crafter or not. Use this incredibly cheap and easy material to build a Popsicle Stick Boat. Your kids can race these popsicle stick boats in the pool or a nearby stream. Take this Popsicle stick craft out on the water and see it set sail on the high seas. This video shows step-by-step instructions for how to make a boat out of popsicle sticks that floats and is easy enough for young kids to make. They can name their vessels and pretend they're pirates racing towards treasure. Don't worry if you don't have your sea legs just yet, because there's no sea sickness with this boat.
Your kids always want to show off their artwork, so show them this popsicle stick project they can make: Tray Popsicle Stick Craft
Estimated CostUnder $10
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Primary TechniqueGeneral Crafts
Age GroupToddlers, Preschool & Kindergarten, Elementary School
- Popsicle sticks
- Duct tape
Popsicle Stick Boat Instructions
Take your popsicle sticks and make the base frame for your raft. If the kids are doing it, you can have them use some Elmer's glue, or you can use Tacky glue. Put a bead of glue down your popsicle stick and then start building the bottom of the raft by laying in your sticks.
Once you have your first layer down, repeat this process by putting a bead of glue across the top and bottom of the raft, lay more popsicle sticks directly over your support sticks, and then build another criss-cross layer over the two new sticks. You will then have a nicely-supported popsicle stick raft.
Put one more brace layer across the top and let it dry. The raft part is now done.
To create a little sail to put on your raft, take two popsicle sticks and cut one in half. Start taping on the two popsicle sticks to create the sail. Lay the second half of the popsicle stick down to make a triangular shape and tape it on.
Fill in your sail by wrapping it around to cover it up.
Trim the end of the sail off so that it's flat, not round.
Put some glue on both sides of the bottom of the popsicle stick and wedge it in the middle crack. Help hold it up and put some glue onto another popsicle stick and brace the sail in. Then, take a couple pieces of the duct tape and use that to hold the sticks in place while everything dries. You can leave the duct tape if you like how it looks. If not, you can remove it when it's done. You can even put a piece down the side to hold it up. Once it's dry, you can remove the duct tape if you wish.
This bonus project is the perfect arts and crafts idea for kids to create! Your kids will get to make an adorable Minion that they can hang up in their bedroom: Paper Plate Minion Crafts
Read NextGlittery Lace Crown
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Sep 01, 2017
I have ALWAYS wanted to make one of these, but I could never get it quite right. I will need to try this project so I can make the boat.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Majestic Clothespin Butterflies
Clothespin crafts for kids are all the rage right now because they are simple and fun. These Majestic Clothespin Butterflies are the… Continue reading: "Majestic Clothespin Butterflies"
- Glittery Lace Crown
- Popsicle Stick Unicorn and Monster Craft
- Beauty and the Beast Homemade Slime
- Marshmallow Picking
- Popsicle Stick Puppets Frozen Printables
- Down the Rabbit Hole: 23 Wonderful Alice in Wonderland Crafts
- 57 Glow Craft Ideas for Kids
- The Gingerbread Man Stick Puppets
- Superhero Paper Plate Masks
- Popsicle Stick Boat
Something worth saving?
- SAVE your favorite projects
- ADD personal reminder notes
- QUICKLY reference your projects
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Cute Paper Plate Chick Craft For Kids
- Free Printable Earth Day Scavenger Hunt For Kids
- Printable Lemonade Stand Kit
- Diy Minecraft Tnt
- Sheep Craft With Craft Sticks
- Foam Dice Chick Craft
- Hot Air Balloon Craft Ideas For Kids: 3 Super Cute & Simple Activities
- How To Draw A Pig
- Printable Hello Spring Coloring Page
- Egg-scellent Easter Egg Coloring Pages
- 13 DIY School Supplies: Back to School Ideas for Kids of All Ages
- 14 Crafts for Boys: Sports Crafts for Kids, Superhero Crafts, and More
- 14 Easy Summer Craft Activities for Kids
- 14 Mother's Day Craft Ideas for Kids: Homemade Mother's Day Gift Ideas
- 27 Crafts for Preschool: Activities for Preschool Children
- 9 Art Project Ideas: Painting Projects for Kids
- Animal Crafts: 17 Zoo Animal Crafts, Fish Crafts, Owl Crafts for Kids, and More
- Cheap and Easy Crafts for Kids: 9 Recycled Crafts
- Kids' Crafts for Easter: How to Decorate Easter Eggs, Easter Egg Hunt Projects, and more Easter Activities for Kids
- Spring Crafts for Kids: 17 Flower Crafts, Butterfly Crafts, and More