55 Fun Kids' Craft Ideas for Homemade Christmas Decorations
By: Jaclyn Holtzman, Editor, AllFreeKidsCrafts.com
We are adding the craft to your Crafts.
The craft was added to your Crafts.
Santa Claus is coming to town shortly, and your kids better get decorating! He’s very attracted to homes with festive homemade Christmas decorations, especially when they’re made by kids. If you need help brainstorming, you’ve come to the right place. Here are 55 Fun Kids' Craft Ideas for Homemade Christmas decorations. With these amazing projects, your kids will cover all of their bases, and there’s no way Santa will skip over your house.
There is no better way to get into the Christmas spirit than with Christmas crafts. While your kids create homemade Christmas decorations, light a fire, get cozy under your favorite blanket, and play some quintessential Christmas tunes. Every kids’ Christmas craft that your kids complete and display takes them one step closer to opening presents under the Christmas tree! Your kids can place a present under someone else's tree with homemade Christmas decorations that are great for gift-giving.
Your little ones can embellish the mantel with homemade Christmas decorations like a beautiful caroling cherub or fun paper chains. They can place hilarious chimney diving Santas all over the house for each member of the family. Then, in the spirit of the season of giving, they can use recycled crafts to create brand new works of art. Recycled crafts are a great way to give thanks to the environment and to appreciate what your kids already have.
If the Christmas tree is still a bit too tall for your kids, they can make their own fun-sized Christmas tree on which they can place mini ornaments made of buttons, stickers, or beads. Your kids can tell everyone that their trees are beautiful, and they shouldn’t be jealous of their new, cooler Christmas tree. Your kids may even softly sing, “Oh mini Christmas tree, oh mini Christmas tree, how richly I have decked you!”
Your kids can enjoy making heaps of homemade Christmas decorations this holiday season that will say to all guests, “We wish you a Merry Christmas.” The more they deck the halls with kids’ Christmas crafts, the more they’ll be tra la la-ing all winter long.
55 Fun Kids' Craft Ideas for Homemade Christmas Decorations
Table of Contents
Make craft time even more fun for your little ones with kids' Christmas crafts! Grab your free copy of 11 Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids to Make for a ton of great craft ideas.
Don't let your kids settle for just one Christmas tree in the home this year—let them make more. The following Christmas crafts for kids use creative materials to put together their very own homemade Christmas tree decoration. Tree, two, one, go!
- Foam Christmas Trees
- Button Christmas Tree
- Life-Size Felt Christmas Tree
- Coin Roll Wrapper Advent Tree
- Popsicle Stick Pom Pom Christmas Trees
- Retro Tissue Tree
- Sponge Paint Christmas Trees
- Angel Wings Christmas Tree
- DIY Christmas Countdown
Charming homemade Christmas decorations make great gifts for the holidays. If your kids begin to get jealous while wrapping up the craft, all they have to do is make another one for themselves. Decorative crafts make wonderful personal gifts, and they get to be opened before Christmas so that they can be displayed. Early presents rock!
- Bow-utiful Christmas Orange Pomander
- Caroling Cherub
- Winter Scented Candles
- Paper Mache Angel Tree Topper
- Iridescent Christmas Tree Star
- Holiday Cheer Light Bulb Mirror
- Sweet and Simple Candy Ornament
- Candy Cane Sugar Scrub
- Holiday Hairpins
Looking for more adorable homemade Christmas gifts? 28 Homemade Christmas Gifts for Kids to Make, 12 New Christmas Gifts + 11 Christmas Gift Wrapping Ideas has a ton of great ideas for your kids.
Yummy, yummy, but not in your kids' tummy. These crafts use edible items as materials to create fun, Christmassy scenes. Trees from gumdrops, houses from Rice Krispies, and Fruit Loop ornaments sound pretty awesome to me. It's just fine if your kids eat a bite, craft a bite, eat a bite, craft a bite—it'll be our little secret, and, no, it will not put your kids on Santa's naughty list!
- Ice Cream Cone Christmas Tree
- Gumdrop Christmas Tree
- Rice Krispie Christmas Village
- Graham Cracker Gingerbread Houses
- Grinch Party Poppers
- Edible Santa Suit Candy Cups
- Yummy Nutter Butter Christmas Treats
- Pretzel Christmas Trees
Paper crafts for kids tend to be less expensive projects because many homes have stacks of construction paper lying around. Some of these crafts are not only homemade Christmas decorations, but they're also kids' activities. Your kids can count down the days until Christmas or write down everything that they're thankful for, and then hang those special items for all to see.
- North Pole Paper Candy Canes
- Paper Plate Christmas Trees
- Adorable Holiday Paper Chains
- Do It Yourself Elf on a Shelf
- Thankful Paper Chains
- Toddler Wreath Collage
- Christmas Countdown Calendar
Recycled crafts are wonderful for the environment, great for your wallet, and adorable to boot. I certainly don't see any reasons why these crafts aren't the perfect homemade Christmas decorations. How adorable are those Santa sidekicks? Let your kids try these great recycled crafts, and then see if they can find items in the home with which they can craft.
- Juice Can Santa Sidekick
- Nativity Scene from Recycled Materials
- Milk Carton Gingerbread House
- Nearly Free Mini Christmas Tree
- Fun Flower Pot Advent Wreath
- Noel Jars
- Egg Carton Candy Cane
All of these homemade Christmas decorations use paint in an awesomely cool way. Your kids can dip their hands into paint to make an angel or a tree, or use marbles to help paint a candy cane. Innovative ways to paint are totally fun. Can your kids come up with any?
- Cool Candy Cane Rolling Marble Painting
- Precious Handprint Angel
- Family Hand Print Christmas Tree
- Ho Ho Handprint Santa
- Adorable Thumbprint Snowman Frame
- Drip Painted Homemade Christmas Ornaments
"He knows if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake!" Santa and his reindeer are very important to the Christmas season; without them there would be no gifts. But, Santa and his reindeer don't give gifts to just anybody; your kids have to be good. Homemade Christmas decorations are a wonderful way to keep your kids focused and creative, and I think Santa and his friends would be pretty flattered to see themselves on display.
- Cute Thumbprint Reindeer
- Rudolph Melted Crayon Canvas
- Chimney Diving Santa
- Toilet Roll Reindeer
- 10 Minute Santa Belly Ornament
- Precious Paper Reindeer Hat
Looking for more fun Christmas crafts for kids? Handbook to a Homemade Christmas: 129 Christmas Crafts and Recipes Kids Love has a ton of crafts your kids will love.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Ribbon Tree Homemade Christmas Ornaments
- Handprint Art Santa Jars
- Your Favorite Christmas Lanterns
- Banana Snowmen on a Stick
- 12 Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids to Make eBook
- Beaded Snowflake Ornaments
- Popsicle Stick Toy Soldier Ornament
- Feather Angel Ornaments
- Christmas Crafts for Kids: 18 Homemade Christmas Ornaments free eBook
- Itty Bitty Snowman Ornament
- 13 DIY School Supplies: Back to School Ideas for Kids of All Ages
- 14 Crafts for Boys: Sports Crafts for Kids, Superhero Crafts, and More
- 14 Easy Summer Craft Activities for Kids
- 14 Mother's Day Craft Ideas for Kids: Homemade Mother's Day Gift Ideas
- 27 Crafts for Preschool: Activities for Preschool Children
- 9 Art Project Ideas: Painting Projects for Kids
- Animal Crafts: 17 Zoo Animal Crafts, Fish Crafts, Owl Crafts for Kids, and More
- Cheap and Easy Crafts for Kids: 9 Recycled Crafts
- Kids' Crafts for Easter: How to Decorate Easter Eggs, Easter Egg Hunt Projects, and more Easter Activities for Kids
- Spring Crafts for Kids: 17 Flower Crafts, Butterfly Crafts, and More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy Kids Craft : How To Make a Crepe Paper Doll Dress
- 17 Farm Animal Crafts for Kids
- DIY Paper Craft: How To Make Amazing Origami Lotus
- Garden Center Scavenger Hunt
- Handprint and Footprint Tissue Paper Frog
- DIY Patriotic Kid's T Shirt
- Fabric Painted Cushions
- Caterpillar and Leaves for the Felt Board
- Origami Candy Box
- Beaded Bird Feeder from a Fast Food Salad Container