- see all comments
"or you could use lace or fabric scraps and starch them after you stitch down the middle, pull, and insert them into the doll clothespin."
"HAVEN'T MADE IT YET. SHEESH GIVE A GUY A CHANCE AFTER CLICKING ON IT TO RATE AND COMMENT!"
Gardening Lab for Kids
We are adding the craft to your Crafts.
The craft was added to your Crafts.
Click here to view your Crafts.
Gardening Lab for Kids
Gifted by Quarto Publishing Group USA
Reviewed by Molly Fletcher, Editor, AllFreeKidsCrafts.com
Another delightful offering in Quarry Books' Hands-On Family series, Gardening Lab for Kids is a collection of 52 kid-friendly activities that teach children how to plant, cultivate, and harvest a garden. Aside from the basics of biology and botany, children will gain an appreciation for the environment and learn lessons in responsibility and patience. The projects in this guide to a green thumb are divided into six units, each of which contains 10 projects. I've listed my two favorite labs from each unit in parentheses, but this book is never short on inspiration:
- Garden Basics (Plant Parts, Watering)
- Getting Started (Seeds, Soil Percolation)
- Theme Gardening (Butterfly Garden, Mini Pizza Garden)
- Green Gardening (Toad Abode, Make a Desert Terrarium)
- Garden Art (Wind Chimes, Soup Can Luminaries)
- Enjoying Your Garden (Garden Poetry, Sleepy Herb Sachets)
As your family works through this book, kids will pick up important skills like observation, map reading, planting and harvesting, and composting. Adults who supervise the outdoor play may learn a thing or two as well! Ecology, insects, cooking–this book makes all of these topics and more easy to understand. Better still, Gardening Lab for Kids favors a hands-on approach which keeps kids engaged. Each activity can be repeated as many times as you want. The results will be different every time.
Author Renata Fossen Brown, the Vice President of Education at the Cleveland Botanical Garden, holds a B.A. in biology and an M.A. in curriculum and instruction. In short, she knows how to get children excited to learn. With her help, you can reinforce lessons learned in the classroom in your own back yard. With the activities in Gardening Lab for Kids, children gain experiential knowledge that will help them excel in school.
Gardening Lab for Kids is a valuable resource for parents and teachers. Full of ideas that are educational and entertaining, this book makes discovery fun. Supply budgets are dwindling in schools, but the activities in this collection call for materials that are inexpensive and easy to find. Every project has a brief introduction to explain its relevance as well as a materials list and a "Dig Deeper" section with additional facts and suggestions for further research.
Cut back on the screen time and encourage your kids to play outdoors with the projects in Gardening Lab for Kids. This book is chock full of brilliant activities and projects for sunny days, stormy nights, and everything in between. Learn lessons and make memories at the same time with this wonderful guide.
BONUS! Enter to win a copy of Gardening Lab for Kids here. Contest ends 5/31/15.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Printable 3-D T. Rex
Rawr! This Printable 3-D T. Rex is hungry and he's coming for you! Just kidding, printable paper models don't bite. These fun paper… Continue reading: "Printable 3-D T. Rex"
- MADE BY DAD: 67 Blueprints for Making Cool Stuff Review
- Martha Stewart's Favorite Crafts for Kids Review
- A Tutu for Every Occasion Review
- Find It, Make It Review
- Art Lab for Little Kids Review
- Big Blast of Kid Crafts: Fun in the Sun Review
- Boycraft Review
- Gardening Lab for Kids Review
- Pom-Poms! 25 Awesomely Fluffy Projects Review
- Craft It Up: Christmas Around the World Review
Something worth saving?
- SAVE your favorite projects
- ADD personal reminder notes
- QUICKLY reference your projects
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Hot Air Balloon Craft Ideas For Kids: 3 Super Cute & Simple Activities
- How To Draw A Pig
- Printable Hello Spring Coloring Page
- Egg-scellent Easter Egg Coloring Pages
- Fun Bee Coloring Pages
- Fun Easter Coloring Pages
- Clay Pot Ladybug
- A Is For Alligator Alphabet Craft
- Printable Basketball Maze
- Paper Easter Basket Craft
- 13 DIY School Supplies: Back to School Ideas for Kids of All Ages
- 14 Crafts for Boys: Sports Crafts for Kids, Superhero Crafts, and More
- 14 Easy Summer Craft Activities for Kids
- 14 Mother's Day Craft Ideas for Kids: Homemade Mother's Day Gift Ideas
- 27 Crafts for Preschool: Activities for Preschool Children
- 9 Art Project Ideas: Painting Projects for Kids
- Animal Crafts: 17 Zoo Animal Crafts, Fish Crafts, Owl Crafts for Kids, and More
- Cheap and Easy Crafts for Kids: 9 Recycled Crafts
- Kids' Crafts for Easter: How to Decorate Easter Eggs, Easter Egg Hunt Projects, and more Easter Activities for Kids
- Spring Crafts for Kids: 17 Flower Crafts, Butterfly Crafts, and More