I Love to Create
We are adding the craft to your Crafts.
The craft was added to your Crafts.
It started with a dream . . . Erma Duncan was a talented artist who enjoyed sharing her gift with everyone. Her love for fired art began at a very young age, as did her natural ability to share her knowledge. Erma began teaching while still in her teens. Her first national recognition for her artwork came in the early 1900s. It was customary for artists at that time to send their work into popular magazines hosting contests for artists, such as the Saturday Evening Post. Top prizes included cash and musical instruments. Erma won so many awards she had enough instruments to start a small orchestra!
Eventually, Erma set up a studio and began teaching ceramics from her home. Before long, her husband Lee and sons Bob and Dick also became involved. As the sessions grew, the garage was expanded to accommodate more people and supplies. In 1940, Erma joined her son Bob as a student at Fresno State College and began taking all available ceramics classes.
In 1946, the business outgrew the garage, so the first official Duncan Ceramic Studio was opened on Blackstone Avenue in Fresno, California. The company also began to operate as a wholesale distributor, with Bob handling the marketing and sales of the business, Erma the art and teaching, and Dick the designing and manufacturing. In 1949, Dick formulated the first nonsettling glaze, the first of its kind in the ceramics industry.
In 1955, Duncan became a corporation with Bob as President, Dick as Vice President and Erma as Secretary-Treasurer. The company continued to prosper and, in 1961, Duncan Ceramic Products, Inc., relocated to its present-day site.
After 23 years of sharing her ceramics knowledge with others, Erma retired from active participation in the company in 1965. In 1976, the company changed its name to Duncan Enterprises, reflecting its continued growth & expansion. In 1983, the third generation of the Duncan family took over when Bob's son Larry was promoted to President and Bob became Chairman of the Board.
For over 60 years, Duncan Enterprises has been a leading arts and crafts manufacturer. In July 2009, Duncan Enterprises changed its name to iLoveToCreate®, a Duncan Enterprises Company. iLoveToCreate leads the industry with comprehensive Fashion Art programs under the Tulip®, Scribbles® and Polymark brand names, and Fashion Dyes under the Tulip® brand. Duncan also produces the top crafting glues and adhesives in the industry under the Aleene's® brand name, and recently introduced the Crafty Chica™ brand and line of products.
Today, iLoveToCreate is one of the largest ceramic arts, crafting adhesives and fashion art manufacturers in the world with its ongoing reputation for excellence in product development, quality, education and health & safety.
I Love to Create's Projects on AllFreeKidsCrafts:
- Cascade of Curls Easter Wreath
- Color Eruption Jars
- Dad's Favorite Handprint Art Apron
- Happy Handprint Butterfly Bag
- Jean-ious Pocket Organizer
- Magical Tie-Dye Mason Jars
- Precious Pillow Monster Stash Buster
- Scrappy Yarn Ball Wreath
- Give a Turkey a Hand T-Shirt
- Minute Mummy Quenchers
- Adorable Jar Turkey Thanksgiving Craft
- Wacky Wiggly Worms
- Cornhusk Napkin Ring
- Corncob Table Setting
- Tabletop Touchdowns
- Holiday Pencil Toppers
- Snowy Day Shimmer Shirt
- Party Time Paper Lanterns
- Tissue Paper Party Decorations
- Plastic Bottle Love Bug
- Shamrock Pencil Toppers
- Hippity Hoppity Headband
- Puzzle Piece DIY Necklace
- Mom's Favorite Handprint Art T-Shirt
- Clothespin Flower Photo Display
- Classroom Doodles T-Shirt
- Thoughtful Notebook Mason Jar Mug
- Heart Eyes Emoji Mug
- Patriotic DIY Canvas Tote
Product Reviews on AllFreeKidsCrafts:
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
"Kids love exploring bugs of all kids - bugs that fly, bugs that swim and bugs that crawl. Caterpillars are especially interesting to… Continue reading: "How to Make a Fuzzy Little Caterpillar"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Seashell Fish
- Glow In The Dark Plastic Water Bottle Bowling
- Free Printable Farm Word Search For Kids
- Toilet Paper Roll Butterfly Craft For Kids
- Toilet Paper Tube Mermaid Craft For Kids
- Patriotic Painted Rocks
- Patriotic Slime
- Sponge Toss Water Game
- Make Playdough With Crayons
- Fun Printable Camping Bingo For Kids
- 13 DIY School Supplies: Back to School Ideas for Kids of All Ages
- 14 Crafts for Boys: Sports Crafts for Kids, Superhero Crafts, and More
- 14 Easy Summer Craft Activities for Kids
- 14 Mother's Day Craft Ideas for Kids: Homemade Mother's Day Gift Ideas
- 27 Crafts for Preschool: Activities for Preschool Children
- 9 Art Project Ideas: Painting Projects for Kids
- Animal Crafts: 17 Zoo Animal Crafts, Fish Crafts, Owl Crafts for Kids, and More
- Cheap and Easy Crafts for Kids: 9 Recycled Crafts
- Kids' Crafts for Easter: How to Decorate Easter Eggs, Easter Egg Hunt Projects, and more Easter Activities for Kids
- Spring Crafts for Kids: 17 Flower Crafts, Butterfly Crafts, and More