Pom Pom Mobile
The kids are going to love making a huge pile of bright and colorful pom poms for this Pom Pom Mobile. Using a pom pom maker to learn how to make pom poms is a fun way to get the kids involved with this unique home décor craft for kids. This is the perfect project to use up those small balls of left over yarn, or use one of the color coordinated collections available. The mobile is sure to look festive no matter where the kids decide to hang it, and they will be proud of their handiwork.
- Lion Brand Bonbons Yarn: Brights
- Pom pom Maker
- Metal ring about 1 1/2 in. (4 cm) in diameter
- Metal ring about 5 in. (12.5 cm) in diameter
- Craft glue
- With red from the yarn pack, wrap yarn around the small ring completely covering the ring. Secure yarn ends with glue.
- Repeat with purple from the yarn pack and the large ring.
- Following package directions, and with yarns from the yarn pack, make 21 small pom poms, about 1 inch in diameter and 6 large pom poms, about 2 inches in diameter.
- Cut a 60 inch strand each of light green, orange and pink from the yarn pack. Hold these 3 strands together and fold in half.
- Lay folded end of strands over the small ring. Pull ends of strands through the fold and tighten to secure the strands to the ring. You will have 6 stands hanging from the small ring.
- At this point, the easiest way to work is to suspend the ring from a hook. You could also slip the small ring over the top of a hanger, then hang the hanger from a doorknob.
- Working with one strand at a time, thread end of strand into a blunt needle. Insert needle through one small pom pom. Wrap strand over and around large ring, drawing out the strand so that the large ring hangs 10 inches below the small ring.
- Repeat with remaining strands, spacing the strands evenly around the large ring. When you are happy with the position of the large ring, glue the wrapped strands in place to the ring so it will not slip out of position.
- Thread the end of one strand back into the blunt needle, then draw the needle through 2 small pom-poms. Slide one pom pom up the strand, then knot the end of the strand below the second pom pom.
- Thread the end of the next strand into the blunt needle, then draw the needle through one small pom pom. Slide pom pom up the strand, so that it hangs at a height midway between the 2 pom poms on the first strand. Knot the end of the second strand and trim.
- Repeat with the remaining strands, alternating 2 pom poms and one pom pom on the strands.
- Glue large pom poms evenly spaced around the large ring. Glue remaining small pom poms to ring between the large pom poms.
Think this craft is cool? In our free eBook 10 Simple Yarn Crafts for Kids, you’ll find even more quirky crafts made from yarn that you and the kids can make together or with friends and siblings.
Read NextRoyal Tea Cup Chandelier Craft