Bea the Friendly Garden Bee
It is summer and the garden is a hive of activity, which makes garden craft ideas the perfect thing to celebrate all the life outdoors. All around you can see butterflies and hear the buzz of creatures like Bea the Friendly Garden Bee dancing around the flowers. Turn an empty toilet roll into these sweet little garden bee craft ideas and celebrate the glory of summer with this fun craft. You can also bring Bea to life when you're in need of spring crafts as you watch all the bees working to help the flowers open up with the new sun.
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Primary TechniqueMixed Media
Age GroupElementary School, Pre-Teens
- Printout of the provided pattern sheet - click here to download
- Empty toilet paper roll
- One cup cut from an empty egg carton tray
- Yellow felt
- A6 piece of silver cardstock
- A6 piece of dark pink sugar paper
- Two strips, each sized 5.5" x 0.3", cut from black faux leather (or any other suitable stiff fabric)
- Strawberry blonde synthetic doll hair
- Pair of 15mm yellow googly eyes
- Three pink 5mm rhinestone stickers
- Two pieces of floral wire, each with a length of 2.4"
- Two black 10mm pom-poms
- Pentel ultra fine black pen
- Sharp-pointed embroidery needle
- Large petal palm punch from XCut, code XCU 261811
- Standard scissors
- Quick-drying craft glue (such as Bostik Clear)
Cut the egg cup smaller so that it would fit on top of the toilet paper roll. Glue it in place and allow to dry.
Glue a small piece of yellow felt to the egg cup, cut off any protruding edges and allow to dry.
Note: Cutting small slits into the felt makes it easier to drape it over the rounded egg cup.
Cut a strip sized 3.7" x 5.4" from the yellow felt. Glue it around the toilet roll and allow to dry.
Glue the two faux leather strips around the bottom part of the toilet paper roll.
Glue the bee's hair in place and allow to dry. Use the scissors to shape the hair neatly.
Glue the googly eyes in place.
Glue a pom-pom onto each piece of wire.
This step needs to be done by an adult: Use the needle to make two holes through the egg cup. Add glue to the bottom of each piece of wire and glue the wires in place to make the antennae.
Cut the wings from the pattern sheet and trace them onto the silver cardstock.
Cut out the silver wings and glue them to the back of the toilet paper roll.
Use the black pen to add a mouth and nostrils.
Punch three flowers from the dark pink sugar paper. Glue them to the bee's head and glue a rhinestone to the center of each flower.
Read NextGlow in the Dark Butterflies