This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
Kids' Crafts for Easter: How to Decorate Easter Eggs, Easter Egg Hunt Projects, and more Easter Activities for Kids
We are adding the craft to your Crafts.
The craft was added to your Crafts.
"This felt Gnome Ornament is a craft that not only will create wonderful holiday memories but be a lasting memory on your family tree! This little Gnome is adorable, simple to create, and perfect for all ages. This craft helps your kiddos to practice their fine motor skills as they create their project together. Though it will come easier to the older kids in your family, the younger kids will be happy to be involved and help anyway they can!"
Primary TechniqueFabric Crafts
- Felt fabrics
- Cotton or scrap felt pieces
- Wooden bead
- Fabric Glue
- Fabric Scissors
Start by selecting the felt fabrics for the gnome ornament. For this tutorial, I picked out a white piece, a dark brown piece, a tan piece, and a red piece. Once you have selected your felt pieces, trace the template patterns onto them. The template includes a gnome base layout, hat, shirt, shoes, beard, and mustache.
Let’s start by stitching the snowflake pattern on the hat cutout. Start by placing your knot on the underside of the center of the snowflake. From there, stitch the 6 arms off from the center.
Join every 2 center arms by stitching an arrowhead pattern between them. This will form a 6 point star pattern
Now, stitch the 6 outer arms of the snowflake to complete the pattern. Draw the needle to the backside of the hat, tie a knot or 2, and cut off extra thread.
Place the mustache near the top-middle part of the beard cutout and then place the beard near the top-middle part of the shirt cutout. Stitch the top side of the mustache along with the beard and the shirt cut out and join them together.
Place the shoe cutouts on the bottom side of the base layout by slightly overlapping them with the base.
Place the body pattern (beard-mustache-shirt) on the bottom side of the base layout. Prepare the needle with a thread matching the felt of the shirt and stitch around the outer side of the shirt pattern.
This is when you will connect the shoes to everything as well, so make sure to catch a bit of the shoe as you go around the shirt. Make sure to keep the top side of the body pattern open for now.
Place the hat pattern on the top side of the base layout and this will cover the top side of the mustache and the beard slightly. Now, stitch around the outer side of the hat and join it with the base layout. Keep a small opening to stuff the felt gnome pattern.
Use cotton or scrap felt to stuff the gnome pattern.
After stuffing the felt gnome pattern, stitch to close the open end.
Cut a small wooden bead into half and use fabric glue to attach the half-cut bead right below the middle of the hat, on top of the mustache. Use glue to close the bottom side of the hat or stitch it closed, whichever you prefer.
Cut out a small piece of ribbon and form a loop with it. Attach the ribbon loop on the backside of the felt gnome with fabric glue to complete the ornament craft.
Read NextPrintable Patriotic Pinwheels
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- Printable Patriotic Pinwheels
- Diy Twine Balls
- Easter Play Dough
- Cinco de Mayo Word Search Free Printable
- Patriotic Coffee Filter Flowers
- NYE All About Me Printable Worksheets
- Waterless Snow Globes
- Father's Day Craft For Kids
- April Fools Ice Cubes
- Celebrate Earth Day with 45 Earth Day Activities for Children and Earth Day Crafts for Kids
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Free Printable Camping Scavenger Hunt For Kids And Adults
- Fun And Free Printable Summer Reading Bingo Challenge
- School Backpack Checklist – Free Printable
- Rabbit Paper Craft
- Paper Plate Camping Craft For Kids
- B Is For Bear Craft
- Easy Father's Day Craft
- Father's Day Craft For Kids
- Ocean Sensory Bag
- Printable 4th Of July Word Search For Kids
- 13 DIY School Supplies: Back to School Ideas for Kids of All Ages
- 14 Crafts for Boys: Sports Crafts for Kids, Superhero Crafts, and More
- 14 Easy Summer Craft Activities for Kids
- 14 Mother's Day Craft Ideas for Kids: Homemade Mother's Day Gift Ideas
- 27 Crafts for Preschool: Activities for Preschool Children
- 9 Art Project Ideas: Painting Projects for Kids
- Animal Crafts: 17 Zoo Animal Crafts, Fish Crafts, Owl Crafts for Kids, and More
- Cheap and Easy Crafts for Kids: 9 Recycled Crafts
- Kids' Crafts for Easter: How to Decorate Easter Eggs, Easter Egg Hunt Projects, and more Easter Activities for Kids
- Spring Crafts for Kids: 17 Flower Crafts, Butterfly Crafts, and More