- see all comments
"or you could use lace or fabric scraps and starch them after you stitch down the middle, pull, and insert them into the doll clothespin."
"HAVEN'T MADE IT YET. SHEESH GIVE A GUY A CHANCE AFTER CLICKING ON IT TO RATE AND COMMENT!"
How to Paper Mache and 7 Paper Mache Crafts for Kids
An easy art project that you have to try with the kids!
We are adding the craft to your Crafts.
The craft was added to your Crafts.
Click here to view your Crafts.
Originating from the French art form, paper mache has become a popular crafting project, especially with the kids. If you've never tried this easy kids' art project before here's How to Paper Mache and 7 Paper Mache Craft for Kids. This craft is like an easier version of sculpting, where scrap paper and a base or form is used to create certain shapes. When this dries, it becomes a fun painting craft that the kids will love. There's so much potential for projects like these, and our steps below will help your first experience with the craft super easy and enjoyable.
These paper mache projects for kids are all easy to make, and you probably already have all the materials lying around the house. The best part about the craft is that it uses newspaper, which makes it a great recycling craft idea for the kids. Not only are they reusing old newspaper, they're getting creative and making something new. These are also great projects for a teacher with her students, especially during art class. You and the kids won't be disappointed with this easy craft project!
For even more art projects for the kids to make, be sure to check out 9 Art Project Ideas: Painting Projects for Kids
How to Paper Mache
Paper Mache Instructions
No worries if you've never tried paper mache before. These easy step-by-step instructions will walk you through the process. You'll be a paper mache pro before you know it. If you have done paper mache projects with your kids, don't skip over these instructions and tips! You may find some paper mache hacks that will make the process much easier for you.
Gather the materials. In order to get the crafting going, you’ll need to make sure you have these items on hand: flour, water, mixing bowl, spoon, and newspaper, tissue paper, or paper towels.
Mix flour and water. Start by adding water and flour to your mixing bowl. Stir until a glue-like substance forms. You can always add more water if the mixture is too thick and more flour if it's too watery.
Add salt to the mixture. By putting in a few teaspoons of salt, this will help prevent mold from forming since this is technically food that you're working with.
Let paper strips soak. Place newspaper strips in a tray with the glue mixture to thoroughly soak. Make sure they get as goopy and gluey as you can make them without clumps forming. You'll want them sticky in order to remain attached to the object you're using as a form.
Use vaseline on model form. If you're planning on using a bowl or other object as a form, spread a layer of vaseline over the surface to make the paper mache easier to remove from the object it's formed to once it's dry.
Layer 2-3 times and let dry. Only layer in sets of 2-3 at a time. You'll want to give each layer enough time to dry and stick to each other. You can always add 2-3 more layers after the first set has dried. Use a paint brush to smooth out any air bubbles.
Use regular paper for final layer. This is an optional step, but many crafters use regular paper as the final layer of their paper mache figure to make painting when dry much easier.
Easy Paper Mache Projects
Now that you've mastered these really easy paper mache instructions, it's time to get crafting with some of these adorable paper mache crafts. From popular culture crafts like the minions to animal craft ideas, the kids will not get bored with these art projects for kids.
If the kids loved this crafting style, they'll definitely want to try these Easy Tie Dye Tips and Step-by-Step Instructions
Which craft do you think your kids will want to paper mache?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Instead of waiting weeks for flowers to bloom, make your own pre-bloomed flowers. It's not as hard as it sounds with the convenient… Continue reading: "Printable Tulips"
- Trying to find fun craft ideas for kids? With this collection of easy kids crafts, you'll be able to provide kids with hours of fun.
- 150+ Tween Crafts for Middle Schoolers
- 100+ Free Printable Crafts for Kids
- 44 Best 4-H Project Ideas Ever
- Monster Lost Tooth Pillow
- Colorful Crayon Slime
- Rainbow Loom Patterns
- 26 Quick and Easy Crafts: One Hour or Less
- 90 Easy Duct Tape Crafts for Kids
- 22+ Fun and Easy Crafts for Kids
Something worth saving?
- SAVE your favorite projects
- ADD personal reminder notes
- QUICKLY reference your projects
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Free Printable Father’s Day Coloring Pages
- June Coloring Pages
- Printable Amusement Park Checklist
- Shark Worksheets
- Jellyfish Cutting Activity Pages
- Handprint Jellyfish
- Monkey Toilet Paper Roll Craft
- Ladybug Worksheets
- Butterfly Worksheets
- Shark Tissue Paper Craft
- 13 DIY School Supplies: Back to School Ideas for Kids of All Ages
- 14 Crafts for Boys: Sports Crafts for Kids, Superhero Crafts, and More
- 14 Easy Summer Craft Activities for Kids
- 14 Mother's Day Craft Ideas for Kids: Homemade Mother's Day Gift Ideas
- 27 Crafts for Preschool: Activities for Preschool Children
- 9 Art Project Ideas: Painting Projects for Kids
- Animal Crafts: 17 Zoo Animal Crafts, Fish Crafts, Owl Crafts for Kids, and More
- Cheap and Easy Crafts for Kids: 9 Recycled Crafts
- Kids' Crafts for Easter: How to Decorate Easter Eggs, Easter Egg Hunt Projects, and more Easter Activities for Kids
- Spring Crafts for Kids: 17 Flower Crafts, Butterfly Crafts, and More